>> Monday, January 3, 2011
It has always been my childhood favourite; Chiffon cake
finally picked up the guts to try on a chiffon cake recipe after hearing the toughness in making one. Found a very mushy, ripe banana, so decided on banana chiffon cake.
my first attempt in making it and am very happy with it; though there is room of improvement for perfection. next time, I will be cutting some sugar and have it smoother.
recipe adapted from CookingCrave .
Banana Chiffon Cake
Egg yolk batter
6 egg yolks
1/4 tsp salt
60ml corn oil
170g banana puree (I just mashed up a very ripe banana)
1/2 tsp banana essence ( substituted it with vanilla essence instead )
30g caster sugar ( deducted 20g from the original recipe )
110g plain flour
3/4tsp baking powder ( alternately, can use 1/4 bicarbonate soda)
Egg White Foam
6 egg whites
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
100g caster sugar
- Combine egg yolk, salt and sugar and beat at high speed until lighter and fluffy. Then add in the banana puree and essence, continue to beat till well mixed. While beating, slowly add in the corn oil.
- Sieve in flour and baking powder into the mixture, do not over beat it.
- Add in the cream of tartar into the egg whites and sugar; beat it in high speed until soft peaks are formed. You will know that it is done when you turn over the bowl and the peaks will not topple over.
- Fold in 1/3 of the egg whites into the egg yolk mixture, and then the next 1/3 and finally the last 1/3 of eggwhites until well blended.
- Pour the batter into an ungreased chiffon cake pan and bake it in a preheated oven at 170c for 30-40 minutes or until cooked.
- Once done, remove it from the oven and invert it on a bottle top to let it cool. Only remove the cake when it is completely cooled.