Korean inspired caramelised Sweet Potato

Found 2 sweet potatoes sitting on the kitchen bench and decided to do something with it.

I am normally not a big fan of sweet potatoes, but I couldn't stand seeing them sitting on the bench rotting their life away..


It's full house now and... I can experiment and make all these snacks hoping to have them gone in no time... Provided they are edible as how I imagined they would be.

So, inspired by a Korean side dish from a farewell dinner that I had with a friend that was leaving :(


The korean caramelised fried sweet potato!!!

It was a pretty simple dish involving minimal ingredients.

I couldn't find a satisfying recipe so I decided to make up one as I went along. Firstly I boiled the potatoes for 5 mins just to soften them up. Thinking that it will lessen the time for deep frying.


It was then peeling the skin off and chopping them into bite size pieces. Marinate it with sligh soya sauce and sesame oil. My impression was of it was sweet, but I like my sweets a little savoury and hence the soya sauce for some colour and taste.


While marinating, set up your wok or in my case.. my deep fryer to deep fry them :) Deep fry the sweet potatoes for 8-10 mins, until it is golden brown.

When the potatoes are deep-frying, heat up a pan with some sugar. This process is to caramelise them. Put a layer of sugar so they can caramelise evenly.


Once the sugar are browned and "liquidy", quickly toss the fried potatoes in to coat them with the sugar.

Plate them once down. Enjoy it best with a cuppa tea!

Comments

  1. WELCOME BACK =D we have missed your blogging! and what a great way to start up again! I love this stuff! my favourite Korean banchan =D =D can u please make for me when i go? ;p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    We’ve recently launched the website Everyrecipe.com.au. It’s a search engine that aims to gather all the best recipes from Australian websites and blogs. We’ve noticed that you have a lot of great looking recipes on your blog that we would love to feature on our site. To read more about how it all works and to sign up with your blog, please visit: http://everyrecipe.com.au or send us an email on info@everyrecipe.com.au. We look forward to hearing from you!

    Kind regards,
    Senka

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most times, simple desserts are better :) I used to do this a lot before I got oo busy managing a Chinese Restaurant in Capalaba area. My kids love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello!

    I saw Your blog and I thought it had great recipes and awesome pictures! I therefore would like to invite You to our new culinary website which has just started.

    This is how it works in short. TastyQuery.com is a website for food bloggers and their fans allowing them to automatically collect recipes from Your food blog. It's a large database of links to recipes on food blogs. Everyone can join us for free.

    For more please visit:
    http://tastyquery.com

    TastyQuery.com is an English version of our main website called "Mikser Kulinarny", founded in Poland. "Mikser Kulinarny" has a large audience (over 2 mln unique visitors monthly) and with TastyQuery.com we want to repeat that success and drive thousands of new visitors to your food blog.

    In case of any questions, don't hesitate to contact us.

    Best regards!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment