In search for my best and consistent [Taiwanese] Beef Noodle Soup recipe

We saw a travel show on Taiwan and they were talking about Taiwanese Beef noodles soup. Suddenly then, we were all craving for it and I said that I will make it for the weekend. There's some beef at home and most ingredients at home, so there goes googling for a recipe to start of with.

Google: Instant Pot Taiwanese Beef noodle soup, and a few came up. However, this one caught my attention. From the Woks of life.  Again, I adapted the recipe (which is amazing) according to my gut feel, and the results turn out A M A Z I N G. Definitely comparable to the beef noodle soup place down the road that we often visit.

Jotting it down, before I forget my steps, so I can recreate. As per blogs recommendation, I've use a "lu bao" (chinese stew herbs/spices bag), however hopefully, I'm able to recreate my own spice combination bag to create the ultimate flavor for a beef soup that I like. [Stay tune to more beef noodle soup update series] Having said that, using a "lu bao" is perfectly fine.

Servings : 6 Adult noodle bowls
Adapted recipe from the Woks of life

INGREDIENTS:

    • about 1.2 kg of beef shank
    • 2 tablespoon of oil
    • 3 pieces of ginger, smashed
    • 8 cloves of garlic, smashed
    • 4 scallions, cut into 2 inch segment
    • 1 onion, cut into wedges
    • 2 tomato, cut into wedges
    • 3 dried chillies
    • 2 tbsp of spicy bean paste (dou ban jiang)
    • a handful of rock sugar
    • 1/2 cup of soy sauce
    • 1/2 cup of Shaoxing wine
    • bunch of coriander stalks
    • Chinese herb packet (lu bao) I used two packets
  • To serve with noodles ( made some with my Philips noodles maker), bokchoy, scallion and coriander. Have some picked mustard on the side if you can get your hands on some.

DIRECTIONS:

  1. Boil enough water in a big pot, add in a slice of ginger and some tied up scallions. Once the water is boiled, add the beef in and let it come back to boil for around 3-4 minutes. I think cut the beef into bite size chunks after this instead as I find it easier to cut the meat when it is slightly cooked.
  2. Next turn your instant pot (or your normal pot) to saute setting and add in the oil, ginger, garlic, scallions and onion in that order. Keep stirring it so it does not stick down on the pot, let them cook until a nice fragrant and onion slightly translucent.
  3. Add in the beef and let it cook while stirring for a few minutes. I do this to seal the moisture in the beef before we let it fully cook. Then add in the bean paste and stir it till it covers all the beef. Add in the soy sauce and wine, then mix well.
  4. Add in the "lu bao" and around 4 cups of water till it covers the beef and a bit more. I then let it continue cooking till boil and simmer, and then set the Instant Pot for 3 x 30 mins stew setting ( as I couldn't set 120 mins on my instant pot), around 3 hours for slow cooker.
  5. When done, serve it on top of cooked noodles, bokchoy and garnish it with coriander and green picked mustard.

Comments