Peach tarts

PEACH + TARTS = PEACH TARTS!!!
Peach tarts are yummy...

My first (trial) attempt in making them.

It was definitely hard to find a satisfying peach tart recipe on the net.

The closest one that I could get was from Anna Olsen's Fresh Fig and Honey Tarts. Instead of putting figs, I put peach instead.

I would say that first attempt of making this tart was pretty good.
Anna's recipe has always worked well for me.

[ Anna Olsen is a pastry chef from the tv show SUGAR, how I wish it's on normal tv.]

Kneading dough, chill it in the fridge for about an hour then take it out and roll it to tart cases and chill it again, fork holes on the cases, before baking it.


Bake it for 10-15 mins untill the edges are browned. Take it out and let it cool.



I think I put too much butter in it, in the recipe, it says one cup, which I googled, is equivalent to 225g. Being so smart myself,other words, lazy, I chucked the whole stick, 250 g of butter in.


That's probably the reason my tart turned out to be a bit crumbly, too crumbly.

And remember, ONLY take it out when the tarts are cool completely, Don't be impatient, like me.

OR

It has to be handled with care.

Cooking custard....

At a point of time, I was addicted to custard, custard bun, tarts with custard, anything with custard!!

I never knew, custard was just cooking, milk, cream, sugar and eggs.... yummy... reminds me the resemblance of how western meets east, how my grandma's "Kaya" was made.

Not anymore...

Piping the custard into the cases.


crumbly ones, stacked up high.. GET OUT OF THE WAY.


slicing peaches and arranging them, was trying to do a swirl on the peaches but couldn't..

and then the peaches ran out, the next best thing available lying on the kitchen bench.. CHERRIES!!!


was trying to arrange them into a flower petal shape.. but obviously, don't think it went well...

it's okay.. I'll eat the cherry ones myself!!

added a layer of glaze of top on the tart for a bit of shine.

I used rose petal jelly instead of a normal gelatine as glaze because I didn't have gelatine at home and just because I wanted to use this jelly, bought from Ashcombe maze last term break.

ta da... arranged nicely on the plate (at least to me)

three in a row


ta da... a lonely one all by itself...

lonesome one


second MASS attempt : SUNDAY

Tribute to those who did not survive the whole journey in transforming into a peach tart.


Recipe for Peach Tarts

(adapted and changed from Anna Olsen's Fig and Honey tart)

Crust

  • 1 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 4 x large egg yolks
  • 1/2 tsp pure almond extract
  • 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 tsp salt

Custard

  • 1 cup almond milk
  • 1/2 cup whipping cream
  • 1 x vanilla bean
  • 7 tbsp sugar
  • 2 tbsp cornstarch
  • 1 1/2 tbsp honey
  • 1 x large egg
  • 1 x large egg yolk

Fruit

  • can peaches or as desired

To Assemble

  1. For pastry, cream butter and sugar together until smooth. Add egg yolks and almond extract and blend. Stir in flour and salt and mix just until dough comes together. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead 1 minute. Wrap and chill for at least an hour.
  2. On a lightly floured surface, knead dough again for 1 minute. Divide dough into pieces and line them on tart pans with the dough, trim rough edges and chill for 30 minutes.
  3. Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Prick crust bottom with a fork and bake for 15-20 minutes, until edges are lightly browned and centre of shell is dry. Allow to cool before filling. Tip: only take them out of the pan when is cooled or else they will break.
  4. For custard, heat almond milk, whipping cream and scraped seeds of vanilla bean to just below a simmer. In a bowl, whisk sugar, cornstarch, honey, egg and egg yolk to blend. Gradually add heated milk to egg mixture, whisking constantly until all milk has been added. Return milk to pot and stir with a heatproof spatula or wooden spoon over medium heat until it thickens, about 4 minutes. Remove from heat and scrape immediately into a bowl. Cover surface of custard with plastic and cool completely. Once cooled, whisk custard and spoon into cooled tart shells, spreading evenly.
  5. For fruit, cut peaches ( I used can peaches) into thinner slices, to allow for easier arrangement. Then layer it with a glaze of gelatin. Chill until ready to serve.


Comments

  1. Hey SM! Can you describe what your peach tarts tastes like? I want to say that the tarts looks really good~ makes me what to eat them too! Can you send me the recipe as well? Thx!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey chickpea!!

    the tarts taste hmm.. I don't know, some say the custard is not as sweet, so I think it's a good thing?

    sure, I'll send you the recipe!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love, love love peaches!!!

    And peach tarts sounds absolutely divine...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Omygosh! I loove peach tarts! I loove crumbly short tart crust too so your must taste heavenly. Great job! :D
    -SimplyBakes

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment